Thursday, March 27, 2008

$40 DIY Lemur



DIY Lemur and touch screen monome for under $40.

Grab my patch for max/msp here or my Mac OSX application here (optimized for 1280 X 1024). To get the virtual monome to work, you will have to grab a monome patch from monome.org and enter the prefix into the prefix slot below the monome. If it has no prefix try /box or /osc. Grab wiimote whiteboard for Windows here and for Mac here (thank you Johnny Lee).

See my other posts for information on how to edit this for your own needs using max/msp and for more info on the infrared glove.

If you modify the patch I'd love to see what you've done. Comment and post me a link to your work!

This project is only a single touch display, but just recently wiimote whiteboard added TUIO support. So it is possible to create a multitouch display in max/msp. I will work on this as much as I can, but unfortunately its a bit over my head. If anyone would like to help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated.

I am also currently working on making a gloveless touch system using the wiimote. It would consist of a string of leds on either side of a plexiglass overlay on the monitor, creating a true touch screen.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The software is nowhere to be found on versiontracker, but on the official messageboard Johnny Lee says he's working on it. So how did you really get this working?
Also, the fake lemur patch is too big for my macbook screen, not to worry, i would do my own interface anyway.
Still, thanks for putting this up, it's very interesting and I look forward to doing this myself!

Ryan Meek said...

Updated the links to wiimote whiteboard software. My patch works best on a 1280X1024 screen but can be edited.

bastianchroos said...

hi.. great work ;)

i want to help you out with that multitouch part..

im on it at the moment, but cant get jitter to work, so i eighter need some help with jitter, or have to do it just the old way, like you did... but this is not very well done..

in jiter you could move objects on he controller, while using it.. and you could save presets etc...

i have the wiimote working with tuio and redirected it to max.. works very well.. now i have to do something like a mouse emulation. but i think will work with objectspositions and sizes.. and some comparisons etc..


bastian #(dot)# chroos #(at)# gmail #(dot)# com

would be nice, if we could help out each other..


whats with ur gloveless solution? the only way i see is a beamer and the wiimote mouned under a screen.. but i would like to use my lcd.. i dont have a projector

please answer ;)

Ben said...

Looks really interesting! Quick question though, if the LEDs are pointing forward where does the wiimote go where it can see? Also, isn't it none-too-good to be squishing your LCD screen so much?

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hey dude,

I had been playing with the idea of combining these technologies for a couple of months and only just now discovered your blog. Your instructions and virtual monome saved me a lot of time and effort. Just wanted to drop a thank you and see if you have made any progress on the multi-touch aspect of the project.

If your still working on it, I would love to help out, I already plan on incorporating several different monome programs into the virtual monome and adding some visually compelling elements. Shoot me an email if you're interested.

.brian
mcgawb [at] gmail [dot] com

Tubbo said...

Can we call this contraption "The Wiimur"? That's what I've been calling it...

Can't wait to build one!!!

Cyrus said...

Hi, I'm trying to make one of these, can you please provide a contact email so I can get a hold of you?

Thank you,

Cyrus

Unknown said...

Hello!

I am just wondering what the status, if any, is on a multi-touch version...

It seem's like everyone is asking! If you haven't worked on one, but other readers have, mind contacting me!?

Cheers!